(WASHINGTON, D.C.) — Congressman Jamie Raskin today joined his fellow Congressional Progressive Caucus Executive Board Members in releasing a letter urging Democratic House Leadership to take bold action in the CARES-2 package.
The letter identifies four key areas that should be prioritized in a just, effective, and equitable response to the COVID-19 epidemic, specifically:
- keeping people on payrolls;
- providing economic relief;
- protecting public health;
- and safeguarding our elections.
Additionally, the letter highlights three principles that should underpin all Democratic efforts on the coronavirus crisis.
- Firstly, ensuring everyone, regardless of tax or immigration status, age or disability status, is eligible for robust assistance — including parity for tribal residents, U.S. territorial residents, and people living in the District of Columbia.
- Secondly, ensuring financial assistance lasts the duration of the crisis through automatic triggers that tie assistance to economic conditions.
- And lastly, ensuring every action taken by Congress addresses inequality and strengthens racial equity and economic equality.
The letter was signed by Congressional Progressive Caucus Co-Chairs Mark Pocan (WI-02) and Pramila Jayapal (WA-07), as well as CPC Executive Board Members Ro Khanna (CA-17), Ilhan Omar (MN-05), Barbara Lee (CA-13), Raul Grijalva (AZ-03), Jamie Raskin (MD-08), Rashida Tlaib (MI-13), Katie Porter (CA-45), David Cicilline (RI-01), Katherine Clark (MA-05), Debbie Dingell (MI-12), Veronica Escobar (TX-16), Ruben Gallego ( AZ-07), Sheila Jackson Lee (TX-18), Joe Neguse (CO-02), Donald Norcross (NJ- 01), Jan Schakowsky (IL-09), Mark Takano (CA-41), Lloyd Doggett (TX-35), Adriano Espaillat (NY-13), Deb Haaland (NM-01), Andy Levin (MI-09), and Jesus “Chuy” Garcia (IL-04).
A copy of the letter is available here.