Maryland Congressional Delegation Announces Nearly $2.4 Million in Federal Support for Renters and Homeowners Affected by COVID-19 Pandemic
(WASHINGTON, D.C.) – Congressman Jamie Raskin (MD-08) and the full Maryland congressional delegation, including U.S. Senators Ben Cardin and Chris Van Hollen and Congressmen Steny H. Hoyer, Dutch Ruppersberger, John P. Sarbanes, Kweisi Mfume, Andy Harris, M.D., Anthony G. Brown, and David Trone, today announced $2,377,692 in federal funding for Maryland renters and homeowners struggling with the economic impact of COVID-19.
Funding comes from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) FY20 Comprehensive Housing Counseling Grants. It will support counseling services to help Marylanders improve their housing conditions and to resolve any issues with meeting rent or mortgage obligations.
“Maryland families continue to grapple with the economic fallout of this pandemic – especially the fear and stress that come with trying to meet rent or mortgage obligations,” the lawmakers said. “Our constituents are looking for a lifeline and, as a delegation, we want to ensure that the federal government delivers helpful resources during this challenging time.”
They continued: “Alongside robust support for new housing vouchers, expanded affordable housing capacity and time-sensitive financial support, Marylanders will now have the opportunity to connect with housing counselors to help them meet the challenges of this public health emergency.”
Awards are as follows:
- $1,626,403 for Homefree USA in Riverdale/Prince George’s County
- $340,489 for Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Maryland and Delaware, Inc., (CCSMD) in Columbia/Howard County
- $65,623 for Housing Initiative Partnership, Inc. (HIP) in Hyattsville/Prince George’s County
- $57,274 for Centro de Apoyo Familiar/Center for Assistance Families in Riverdale/Prince George’s County
- $36,249 for Harford County Housing Agency in Bel Air/Harford County
- $30,865 for Frederick Community Action Agency (FCAA) in Frederick/Frederick County
- $28,724 for Washington County Community Action Council (WCCAC) in Hagerstown/Washington County
- $25,627 for Southern Maryland Tri-County Community Action Committee, Inc., in Hughesville/Charles County
- $25,002 for Home Partnership, Inc. (HPI) in Joppa/Harford County
- $24,997 for Arundel Community Development Service, Inc. in Annapolis/Anne Arundel County
- $22,725 for Hagerstown Neighborhood Development Partnership, Inc. (HNDP) in Hagerstown/Washington County
- $22,578 for Diversified Housing Development, Inc. in Windsor Mill/Baltimore County
- $20,300 for Garyn Oaks Northwest Housing Resource Center, Inc., in Baltimore City
- $19,529 for Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc., in Baltimore City
- $18,621 for Allegany County Human Resources Development Commission, Inc., in Cumberland/Allegany County
- $12,686 for Shore Up!, Inc., in Salisbury/Wicomico County
HUD's Housing Counseling Program is authorized by Section 106 of the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968 (12 U.S.C. § 1701x) and Section 4 of the Department of Housing and Urban Development Act (42 U.S.C. § 3533) as amended by Title XIV of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (Dodd-Frank).