To combat the spread of COVID-19, Maryland is changing how everyone will vote in the upcoming elections. For the most updated information, visit the website for the Maryland State Board of Elections here. To reach the Board of Elections by phone, you may dial 800-222-8683 or 410-269-2840.
2020 General Election
The 2020 General Election is scheduled for November 3, 2020 from 7 am until 8 pm. Early Voting for the General Election is scheduled for Monday, October 26, 2020 through Monday, November 2, 2020 from 7 am until 8 pm. The deadline to register to vote or update your information for the upcoming election is October 13, 2020 for the 2020 General Election.
When and Where Can I Vote?
For the 2020 Presidential General Election:
- You can either vote in person during Early Voting or on Election Day or by mail-in ballot.
- If you wish to vote by mail, you have to request a mail-in ballot for the General Election (unlike the Primary Election in June). The Maryland Board of Elections will send all active Maryland registered voters an application for a mail-in ballot if they have not already requested a mail-in ballot. You may also go online and request a ballot electronically. If you request a ballot on-line or through a written application, it is important to request that your ballot be mailed to you via the U.S. Postal Service rather than emailed. The reason for this is that emailed-and-downloaded ballots will have to be hand-counted which is time-consuming and more difficult during the pandemic. The mailed ballots are scannable and more efficient. So be sure to request that your ballot be mailed to you via the U.S. Postal Service.
- When you receive your Maryland General Election ballot in the mail, follow the instructions to complete your ballot, use black or blue ink to complete it, and be sure to sign the oath on the back of the envelope. Return your mail-in ballot in the provided postage-paid envelope via the U.S. Postal Service or go and deposit your ballot directly in any of the official drop boxes placed in locations throughout the 8th Congressional District prior to the election. My office will share further information on these specific locations as they become available.
- Early Voting for the General Election is scheduled for Monday, October 26, 2020 through Monday, November 2, 2020 from 7 am until 8 pm. Consult your county election board's website for locations of Early Voting centers. For the Carroll County Board of Elections, click here. For the Frederick County Board of Elections, click here. For the Montgomery County Board of Elections, click here.
- On Election Day on November 3, you can vote at any Election Day voting center in your county. Consult your county election board’s website for locations of Election Day voting centers. For the Carroll County Board of Elections, click here. For the Frederick County Board of Elections, click here. For the Montgomery County Board of Elections, click here.
- On Election Day on November 3, voting centers are open continuously from 7 am until 8 pm. Anyone in line at 8 pm will be allowed to vote.
I Have a Disability. Will I Be Able to Vote?
Yes. All vote centers and most polling places in Maryland are accessible to voters with disabilities. See Access by Voters with Disabilities for more information.
Are Election Materials Available in Languages Other Than English?
Federal law requires Montgomery County to provide election materials in Spanish. Non-English materials may be provided in other jurisdictions on a voluntary basis. Contact your local board of elections to determine what is available in your jurisdiction.